Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Costochondritis- And Caffeine


I don't know about you. But I love Diet Dr. Pepper. If you are thinking..."you can't love a Diet Dr. Pepper, Lucy. That's silly!" I say to you, "why yes, my friend, you can. I LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper. I am exhibit A." I love the stuff. It is usually glued my person, so to speak. We have been in a disfunctional relationship for years.

But here's the problems. Caffeine exasperates the problem of costochondritis. How does it do that? I have no clue. =) But somehow it encourages us to "brace" more in our ribs and thus, causes more pain.

So I went off Diet Dr. Pepper on Sunday...I'm on day 4 of my trial run. Does my pain feel any better? Nope. Nada. No way. Still there, about the same and holding.

But I do know that it's good for the body to be off diet drinks or sodas in general. I'm sleeping better and that's a plus. I'm really into getting my body all the vitamins, minerals, calcium, fruits and veggies it needs. I just want to give it the best opportunity to heal, ya know? So if diet drinks strip the body of the vitamins and minerals it needs, my verdict is that I'll stay away from the yummy stuff that is oh so bad for me. I'm trading them in for green tea.

So Diet Dr. Pepper, I am breaking up with you. Our long term steamy relationship is through. Over. Done. Finished. (insert sad country song here).

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! Wow- that would be hard. Love your creative writing! Glad you found a new lover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a random update for anyone who just googled caffiene/costochondritis and found this post. I'm on day 7 of no caffeine from sodas and my pain has gone down a notch on the pain scale as of yesterday-day 7. HOLLA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you break up with my coke for me. I just do not have the strength to do it alone. And yes, you CAN love a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it's diet mountain dew. I'm afraid I'm gonna need concrete evidence of a connection between Costco and caffeine before I can leave my DMD - life tastes better with Diet Dew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have experimented with caffeine in coffee. I have been off coffee at different times, and for me, if I don't drink it, I don't have Cost pain at all. This morning I tried decaff with 1/2 teaspoon of regular caffeine and the pain came back, I believe that there is a strong relationship with Cost and caffeine coffee. Now, a cold drink like Pepsi or Coke, well I am just to scared to try. Maybe one day I will try it.

    ReplyDelete