Friday, September 11, 2009

Costochondritis- Success Story

This is a success story from a group I'm a part of:

"I had my first flare up about 2 years ago. I tried everything from rest, stretches, therapy, injections, just about everything. Then I started going to the chiropractor which helped by giving me more mobility in order to do exercises. After about a year in constant pain, I started to walk around the neighborhood. After I got home from my walks I would be sweating a little bit and I noticed my costo didn't hurt at all. After a few weeks I was running on the treadmill in the gym and after every run my costo was getting better and here is how sweating and body heat will heal your costo.

HOW He HEALED FROM COSTO:

costo is an inflammation of the soft tissue connecting the rib to the sternum. In order to heal soft tissue there needs to be sufficient blood flow. Just sitting and taking NSAID's isn't going to stimulate blood flow. Therefore, you must start slow like walking and work your way to other exercises.

1. Sauna/Steamroom- This is what has helped me heal the most, your body temp will rise higher than if you were exercising and you get better results for the cost.

2. Hot tubs- hot tubs can help the same way a sauna would except not as effective

3. Chiropractor- the chiropractor has been straightening my spine which was out of place because of costo and these treatments are the backbone of my healing.

YOU NEED TO HAVE A HIGH BODY TEMPERATURE IN ORDER TO HEAL SOFT TISSUE BY SWEATING AND INCREASED BLOOD FLOW TO THE PARTS OF YOUR BODY WHICH NEED IT(COSTO JUNCTION) THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT BUT IT CERTAINLY HAS HEALED MY COSTO FROM THE POINT WHERE I COULDN'T GET OUT OF BED TO NOW WHERE IM SO ACTIVE I ALREADY INJURED MY ANKLE FROM PLAYING SO MUCH BASKETBALL AGAIN HAHA! TAKE IT SLOW, DON'T GET HURT, TRUST ME!!"


I then asked him what he did at the Chiropractor b/c getting adjusted for me is very painful if I lay on the table, face down.
I've seen 3 chiros and they all cause far more pain then help.

"He took an x-ray of my spine and it turned out I had a slipped vertebrae in my
back which was connecting to the same rib as the costo(I think it was rib # t-5
or t-6 on my right side) and he would adjust my upper back while I was lying
face down then I would lie on my side and he adjusted my lower back.

Have you tried running? I too was afraid it would cause more inflammation and
pain, and my doctor's at Stanford kept encouraging me to exercise because that's
the only way it will heal. And I kept telling myself the doctors didn't know
what they were talking about because costo is fairly rare, and most doctors,
even the ones at Stanford have never dealt with it before. So after more than a
year of pain and missing the outdoors, I thought I have nothing to lose so I
started walking and biking slowly and if I feel any pain I'd stop and go home
at take pain killers haha. But there was no pain, and kept a steady regimen and
after about 6 months I would say my costo area is almost better/stronger now
then before I hurt it! You have to take the initiative yourself to heal
yourself. The sauna works wonders also!"

Ok, so this success story is awesome!!! For me, since I was a personal trainer at the time I got costochondritis, working out harder is more painful. For me, when I decreased the intensity of my cardio, and my pain subsided a notch. However, I think mine was so incredibly inflamed...moving wasn't the problem, I needed to chill out. But for others, this may be a great route to try.

Thanks for sharing, Cory!

No comments:

Post a Comment